Monday, January 5, 2009

The Engagement

After seeing each other for about a week, I was introducing Matt to a song called "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. He, being the romantic that he is, asked "Am I yours?" My face went entirely red and I couldn't speak. That is probably the moment I knew that I wanted to marry him. After a lengthy discussion we decided to be exclusive.
A few days later, I sat down with my sister and my mom and made a list of everything that I wanted in a partner and then I began checking them off according to what Matt had to offer. (I wonder if he knows I did this...) Anyway, everything I wanted, needed, hoped for, wished for...he had...he has!
Our thoughts and discussions about marriage really began when his apartment lease was coming to an end. I knew that I wanted to be traditional in the sense that we wouldn't live together before marriage so began the discussion of engagement, wedding plans, money and marriage. Matt and I went ring shopping once so he could get an idea of what I wanted. The rest was up to him!
I knew he went shopping with my sister, Dennise, and his cousin, Tanner in early December but I didn't know much else. Matt and Dennise would ask me random questions every now and then but I really had no clue what they were up to. I figured Matt would want to ask me when his parents were down from Iowa in late December so I sat back and relaxed.
A few days before Christmas, Matt and Dennise came clean that they had not been able to find the ring that I wanted. Dennise even took me ring shopping on December 23rd and 24th to see if I was interested in a different style. (Truthfully, I was super bummed about Matt not having bought the ring yet!) I decided that I would turn it around, make the best of it and help pick out my engagement ring! (Little did I know that they were being sneaky!)
On Christmas Eve, Matt and I decided to take a little time for ourselves and go to downtown Ft. Worth. In the elevator of the parking garage, I leaned in to give Matt and big hug and conveniently frisked him to see if I could feel a ring. He didn't flinch...he just hugged me right back. Since there was no ring, there would be no proposal and I just relaxed and enjoyed the evening. We ate at P.F. Changs and then took a carriage ride around downtown. (Where Matt spent most of the time asking the driver questions-so romantic!)
At this point, I was freezing and needed to find a bathroom but Matt wanted to go look at the big Christmas tree! We walk up to the big tree and while Matt is taking a picture with his phone, a man gets down on one knee and asks his girlfriend to marry him. She is hyperventilating and their family is cheering! I am ready to go home. :) Matt apologizes to me saying, "I'm sorry, I know you wanted a ring but we just can't find the style you want." We walk to the other side of the tree where another man is down on his knee proposing to his girlfriend. Again...I am ready to go!
Matt and I continue walking around and he is taking random pictures with his phone. I notice he is shaking and I asked him what is wrong. I was very confused. If he is cold enough to be shaking, I am cold and I have to use the bathroom...why are we still wandering around downtown? Being the random person that he is...Matt makes me walk around the block looking for other fun stuff to see and do. We get back to the tree and we are standing on a little platform. He takes my hand and fiddles with my new charm bracelet and expresses to me how the bracelet "is a gift from the heart." At this point he has a really weird look on his face and I know what is happening. DUH! He totally had me fooled! He said, "I have another gift that is from the heart!" and he got down on one knee.
I'm not sure what else happened but I was crying, he was crying, I said yes and dang...the ring was really sparkly!

1 comment:

  1. Matt worked hard to make that event extra-special! What a lovely memory y'all have made.

    ReplyDelete